Welcome friends & colleagues!!!

I hope to continue to post about what techniques that I am using with my literacy groups this year and others that I have seen my amazing colleagues using!!!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Meaning & Visual Working Together

I don't know about anyone else, but this year it seems I am having the hardest time getting my students (my first graders) to use both meaning and visual cues.  They are relying heavily on one or the other and cannot integrate the two.  Granted, these are some of the lowest students and it is very difficult for them to put the pieces together in general.  However, it seems that I have not yet effectively taught them to use both cues to help them solve unknown words. I know this is a complex process for the brain, but many students can do this naturally with ease. For some, its like putting the pieces of a puzzle together when you don't even know what the end picture is supposed to look like!

Let me explain the issue in more detail.  They either rely heavily on visual, only trying to "sound out" the tricky word, or give the first sound and that's it-totally neglecting meaning altogether.  Or, I have children that re-read but nothing pops out when they get to the tricky word.  It seems this issue is the most difficult to get a shift.

Like I said, I STILL cannot get them to use first letter to problem solve unknown words.  They still make a miscue that makes sense, but doesn't begin the same at all!! Or when they come to the word, they just sit and I must prompt them to "get your mouth ready", then they make a guess that makes sense and looks right.  But how do I get them to do that on their own???

I was thinking that I haven't supported them enough or scaffolded them in the right way.  I started thinking about some strategies and tools that maybe I hadn't utilized enough.  I thought about how when the students get to the unknown word, after prompting for meaning, the prompt should be, "do you know a word that starts like that?"  If they say no, I need to get the magnetic letters out and make a word that they know that begins the same.  For example, if they are stuck on lost, I would make like, right on top of the word in the book with magnetic letters.  Have the child read the known word and ask, "what does your mouth do here? pointing to the l in like, and so what will your mouth do here?, pointing to the l in lost.  Now re-read and make that sound when you get there." 

I think they may need that scaffold to make the shift.  I need to keep my magnetic letters armed and ready when working with students during the first read in my guided reading lessons.  I'll let you know how it turns out:)  Does anyone else have suggestions?
As far as students relying heavily on visual, I think as long as I keep emphasizing the meaning, I can fix that more easily.

Happy Teaching!!!
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment